Will it work on mobile devices?
Yes. Websites we create will function correctly on a mobile device. You also have the option to create a customized optimization of your web for mobile devices. This means we don’t just make sure that the computer screen version works correctly with certain adjustments, but we create a bespoke mobile version for smaller screens. The difference is that a bespoke version will be more comfortable to use and you can show different content and strategy for mobiles.
What about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)?
All of our websites include basic SEO and are therefore “SEO READY” (e.g. adding keywords, site description, web title and fav-icon, Google friendly navigation, naming and tagging the image files correctly, etc).
If you are selling products online, you might need more than basic SEO. Something like a monthly plan to keep you much more visible in search engines. We can advise you and put you in touch with the right team to help you with this.
Can I update the content myself?
Most of our clients want to update at least a certain part of their website regularly. If you update your content infrequently, it might be more economical for you to have the designer do the updates for you. Otherwise we can create a Content Management System (CMS) so you are able to do the updates yourself using this back office. Although it costs more upfront, if you need regular updates (you have very active news-section) a CMS is worth it in the long run.
What about hosting, domains, back-ups?
We can help you to set up everything you need for a domain, recommend a hosting provider and decide with you on the best back-up system. But we do not run the hosting for you. Also, even though we can help you with all of this, I always insist that all this sensitive information – especially the domain name – is all registered in the name of the client, with full administrative control.
This is because if you one day decide to use a team other than us for your web-development, we would be disappointed, but you would have complete freedom to do so. You wouldn’t have to ask us first to “free” your domain name or to release your back-ups. I have seen issues before where a previous team make it difficult for a client to move on, and I don’t find this ethical!
If you are uncetain which hosting to choose, we can highly recomend these people for your Hosting. We have been working with them for a good few years now and their support is instant, hosting is fast and affordable and tecnogogies are always updated and secure.
If I want to add a third language or a shop in the future?
Our websites are flexible enough to be able to expand in all sort of ways, be it adding an additional language, a shop or a new section.
If I want to change designer or developer?
Don’t worry, you are not married to us if you don’t want to. Your domain names and hosting accesses should already be all in your name to be able to take them with you easily.
In the case of logo-development, once finished you will already receive the original illustration file as part of all the formats we send you upon completion of the project. This vector file allows you to apply the logo anywhere or perform any kind of modification of your logo you might need in the future and therefore gives you or any future designer all the flexibility you need.
PROCESS & WORKFLOW
Most of our projects have a similar workflow, be it logo-design or website development.
Creating a website:
- Before we start any designing there will a meeting where we talk about the details of what the client needs and wants. Only after an in depth briefing and brainstorming of possibilities with the client, consulting references, defining goals etc do we start the design process.
- We first establish the overall LOOK & FEEL of a website by designing the HOME page, and possibly 1 or 2 other pages, if they are relevant to develop the general style. We typically design it in Photoshop and present you with static images in jpeg format to review, plus a description of how the site will function, movements etc.
- Hopefully you like it! Or you might have a correction or two. Once you given us the OK to the general LOOK & FEEL of the site, we then go ahead and apply that to all the other content pages. (news, about, contact, etc). At this stage everything is still static images but you can see clearly what the site will look like.
- Then comes the process of turning it into a website. It is important to understand the following: once we have your FINAL OK on the designs for all of the individual web pages, we send those to our programmer / developer to convert those static jpeg images into functioning web pages. This stage is a FORMAL DESIGN-STAGE SIGN OFF which usually happens in writing. Since the developer is following the designs created, there should not be any design changes after they have already started implementing those designs. If you DO realize you want to change something, of course it can be done. But it will quite likely cause an increase of the initial quote, since the programmer will have to redo part of the development they have already done.
The development of a logo:
- After sufficient conversation with the client, we get working for approximately 8 to 10 days to come up with 3 or 4 logo options to present to you.
- You choose the one you like best and let us know the corrections. A general quote typically includes 3 correction rounds of the chosen logo.
- Once we have applied the corrections, we add color (yes, it’s all black & white until this point!). We usually present you with a whole range of color variations from which you can choose. The reason for adding the color at the end is that, first of all, a good logo has to also work in black & white. If you like it in simple black & white, you will like it even more once we add color. Secondly, color plays a secondary role to the actual shape and font. Depending on where you use your logo (website, business cards etc) the color may need to change, while the the actual developed font & shape should always remain the same, independently of the context you use it in.